some of us will be monitoring this online space from afar, throughout the conference. many of us are in the USA, so do the math and we might be sleeping. that said, you can post quick questions about how this space works and we'll get answers posted as soon as we can. --MichaelHerman, TedErnst, ChrisCorrigan, ArtSilva and ...
- seems there was a problem with /PersonalPreparation topic posting. got the emails here and not sure what to say. if you click 'edit,' you get that page. if you click save button, you should see the read version of the page come back, showing edits. if you don't see that page come back, then you must still have the edit page and all your edits on your screen. (for instance, if you click on the desktop or another window, then clicking 'save' will only bring that edit window back to fore, rather than executing the save, but the edits are all there. all need be done is click save again in the now active window.) sometimes when i'm working on my laptop with trackpad, i inadvertantly select a chunk of text with the trackpad while typing in the window. if i don't notice this and keep typing, i replace what got selected and the replaced text disappears, unless i catch it and use 'undo' function in the browser. as ted says in the emails, if two are editing simultaneously, there is a special page returned for that, which shoudl be clear. it's very different from what is expected and so should be obvious to anyone. maybe the hosting outfit blinked at just the right moment? other than these hypotheses, it's hard to say what happened. glad it looks like all is finally well there. thanks to all who helped out and sorry for the difficulties. --MichaelHerman
- It is interesting to note that our "help desk work" here has been minimum - one of the questions come from Ted, and the other by e-mail. On the other hand, the behind the scenes (behind the screens?) work of the "help deskers", has been very intensive, in the (rest of the) Wiki space. It is also interesting to note that the "help deskers", as they stay here a lot of time, read many reports and are among the most active participants in the online dialogue. Just a comment - ArturSilva
- Help....I intended to send a message to OSonOS cafe and instead I set up my own page and the message went there. And now i don't have a question mark beside my online registration to resend anything to the OSonOS cafe. I want to delete my own page and be able to send a message to the OSonOS cafe. How do I do this.....help please. HelenPatterson
- Hi Helen. I have moved your (destroyed) message to the café! It is at the bottom, but you may change it to the apropriate place if you wish (It would be easier to discover if you had not deleted it...). For the time being, your name page (that as no content right now) is still there - maybe you change your mind and want to put there at least your email... If not, Michael will destroy that Name Page later. -- ArturSilva (If you click Preferences before changing a page and put your name there and save, then your name will appear in "Recent Changes" in all your subsequente changes, and things are more visible for us).
- Thankyou for your instant help Artur. and thankyou to the wiki gnome for the invisible transfer work. I wrote up my message again and sent it and voila edit conflict arose. Next thing wiki gnome had transferred the message to the cafe site. Purpose achieved even if i don't know how. Thanks Helen
- The conflict arose as I had saved the page just a few seconds before you... When this happens with people making different changes, you can go backwords, copy your change, reedit the page, paste your change and Save again, In this case it was useless as we were trying to put exactly the same text. The good point about Wiki is that things can normally be corrected later. No problem if it was not OK during the first time ;-) -- ArturSilva
- I have put 9 photos on my server and links to them on the page /Photos, but they're pretty big so having them all on one page doesn't make sense. Unfortuanately, I don't have time to fix this. Could someone break them up onto their own pages or however you think makes the best sense? Just copy the URLs from the /Photos page --TedErnst
- I am using ADSL and I can only see the first five photos - the others are not even dowloaded. Can't someone separate them in two series of five? - ArtSilva
- ''Sorry about that Artur, that was my mistake. I forgot to rename the photos after I uploaded them. The /Photos page had the right address, but the files had the wrong names. Should be fixed now. --TedErnst